Tuesday, March 15, 2016

All You Have To Do Is Believe (not really, but it helps)

     I am an optimist and I like to believe I can do things I can't. It's great, because sometimes the only thing I need for something to happen is hope, and if it doesn't work out I can still find a way to be happy.
     I have developed this logic from playing games in a gym on Sunday nights. We play a game called Resurrection, which is basically dodgeball on steroids. All you have to do is run around and throw balls at people (which by the way is extremely satisfying). If you get hit, you sit down until the person who hit you with their ball gets hit. Then they sit down and everyone who got hit by them gets up. Therefore it never ends. Unless something gets screwed up somehow, but that's never happened. Anyway, I love this game, but I have no aim whatsoever and can't catch to save a child. I usually end up taking the sneaky approach and hiding in the corner until someone comes within range, then I throw my ball at them when they aren't looking. The best thing is when they are one of the really good players who got a lot of people out, and half of the people sitting down are like "HALLELUJAH." But I still can't catch or throw, so those moments don't happen nearly as often as I'd like. What I discovered is that the power of believing in yourself really helps. (Also making sure you have good form when you throw). When I say to myself, "I can't catch," I don't. But if I start thinking, "I can throw this ball with the power of many flying unicorns (which would make it a pegasus) and hit that person," then I usually still don't, but I'm much closer than normal. Even though I didn't hit them, I am recognizing improvement.
     Moral of the story, sometimes being pessimistic just makes it worse. If you think, "I can't do this," you probably won't. Having a positive outlook is something that really helps me get through life. I have many reasons to be depressed, but I'm not because I know that good things far outweigh the bad.



-Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment